I also remember different times growing up when my siblings and I would look at old pictures of our parents and get some good ole belly laughs over their hair styles, clothes, cars, etc. We were told at the time that there would be a day when our children would be doing the same thing to us. Of course, at the time I thought that would NEVER happen! As time quickly passed I began to know that this most definitely would happen someday. My children most definitely would get their own belly laughs at my expense.
Over the past few years little chuckles have begun to come. "Mom, what were your favorite videos when you were a little girl"......"Well, we didn't have videos. We had to wait until a movie came on the tv and then we had to be home to watch it while it was on, or we missed it!" "That's WEIRD!" (with a chuckle). Yes, things were very "weird" then. We didn't have a telephone in our car. And, the phone in the house had a cord on it. We did not have a computer in our house. To do a school report we had to go to the library and write everything out by hand. "Did you have to ride a horse and buggy" lol! No, we did have cars way back then! "Well, I'll bet Grandma didn't have cars!"......"Well, you'll have to talk to Grandma about that" If they think I'm "weird" I'm sure they will find Grandma to be VERY "weird". ;)
So, these little chuckles from my children about my "weirdness" have been slowly creeping in over the past few years. But, yesterday was the day that I have known for a long time was bound to happen! Heidi got out our old year books. That's all I really have to say isn't it? You know what is coming. YES, hysterical laughter! I mean tears streaming down the face holding our belly laughter because, after all, we were SOOOOOOO funny WAY back then! lol!!
I think I mentioned in a previous post that when we were preparing for our garage sale this summer we took my old Olympia typewriter out of the attic. This was my very prized gift that I received from my family when I graduated from high school in 1984. This would make my college days so much easier. I would not have to write everything out by hand or go to the library to borrow a typewriter. My very own typewriter!! It is no longer working. It broke and the part to fix it is no longer available...wonder why? ;) But, despite the fact that it is not working the kids (especially Jacob) have had a ball with it. Jacob has been begging me since school started to take this typewriter to school for "show and tell". Today I finally relented and let him take it. The only condition was that he had to be able to carry it himself......it's big and heavy. I also asked him WHY he wanted so badly to take this to school. His answer "Mom, it's an old fashion antique and the kids will think it is so neat!" Wow, well at least he's not laughing hysterically. I guess I'll take that! ;)
So, this morning my boy jumped out of the van with a huge smile on his face as he toted the "old fashion antique" typewriter through the school house doors. Dare I say, in a twinkling of an eye, Jacob's son or daughter will be begging to take his beloved GameBoy to school for show and tell because it will be "an old fashion antique".

My thoughts on all of this today. Time most definitely does pass quickly. It will seem that I turn around after leaving this computer and my children will be in their 30's and 40's. Afterall, wasn't it just yesterday that I had that conversation with my Daddy about the year 2000. So, I vow today that I will make the most of THIS day! I will strive to be the kind of person that God wants me to be....the kind of mother that He wants me to be....the kind of wife that He wants me to be. It's the relationships that we have with people that stands the test of time. Our children may laugh at our old hair styles, clothes, or cars, but they will forever value the relationships that they have with us......I know I value the relationship I have with my parents so VERY much! That never grows to be an "old fashion antique". It is rich and fresh because of the memories that we hold together. I'm off to make memories that will stand the test of time.
God Bless,
Wendy
2 comments:
Well, I just ruined the makeup I just put on... tears of love and joy for our oldest child and her siblings and her family. YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOO SPECIAL and your family is soooooo fortunate to have you!!!!!!! I was laughing and crying at the same time. History just keeps repeating itself...
Enjoy every minute of it. I goes so fast.
Love
Mom and Dad
Wendy, that is sweet, heartwarming and hilarious! I sometimes wonder how my mom heated bottles! no microwave! Remember the old betas? Our friends had those before vhs....
FUN POST!
Post a Comment