Every Good and perfect gift is from above. James 1:17

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Overwhelming Kindness

WOW!! Over the past several days our family has been overwhelmed by witnessing the extreme kindness and generosity of those around us. In the midst of struggle blessings abound. As I posted previously, Tom's brother, Fred, is currently fighting lung cancer. He starts aggressive chemo and radiation treatments tomorrow. In an effort to help support Fred's family, Tammy's (Fred's wife) sisters put forth a huge effort in organizing a benefit auction and dinner for them. Fred still lives in the small town where he (and Tom) were raised. So, Fred has been living there pretty much his entire life. We only live about an hour away. The town only has about 500 residents. The benefit auction/dinner was held on Saturday at the high school. The outpouring of love and support shown to Fred and his family by this little town is absolutely overwhelming!! When we pulled up it looked like school was in session there were so many cars in the parking lot. The cafeteria was packed with folks eating the spaghetti dinner. The gym was lined with tables holding items donated by local businesses and individuals, which were being auctioned off via the silent auction. During the live auction it was standing room only. These folks were on a mission...a mission of love! It was all so very touching to see.

Then during the live auction a man whom we had never met before tapped me on the shoulder and said, "I overheard a conversation between your husband and son. I know your son is really fond of this telescope, and I would like him to have it" He had won the bid on the telescope during the live auction and was giving it to Jacob. It turns out that this man is a good friend of Fred's. He wanted to make a donation and knew that Jacob really liked the telescope. So, he bought it and gave it to him. It is a VERY nice telescope!! So extremely touching!! On the drive home last night Jacob said, "Mom, my eyes seem to be crying and I don't know why?" I asked him what he was thinking about. He said, "I'm thinking about that nice man that bought me that telescope.....Mom, that was soooooooo nice wasn't it!!" I'm so thankful for this man. His kindness touched me and my family in a very special way. Yes, Jacob will enjoy the telescope (and already is ;) ), but I'm sure that my son will forever remember this special stranger that reached out to him and touched his life with an act of kindness. Now, that is special.....that's priceless!

In the same way, my bil Fred and his family most definitely will benefit by the financial gifts that were given to them on Saturday. But the biggest gift received.....the gift that they will hold onto and treasure always... is the outpouring of love, kindness and generosity they received from so many in their community. The love shown to them during this time of crisis in their lives is....priceless!! You can't put a dollar amount on that!

I'm taking a Ladies Bible study right now. One of the things we have been talking about is the question "Does your theology merge with your reality?" In other words, are you living out what you believe? Do you "put your money where your mouth is?" Actions speak louder than words. We've heard that all of our lives, but is is SO true isn't it? I can tell my son how important it is to be a kind person. This man on Saturday brought kindness to life for Jacob by his actions. So many people brought kindness to life by their actions in one small town on Saturday night. I, for one, will always remember the outpouring of love shown to Fred and his family. I am sure that many of the people present were also touched. Love and kindness have a way of touching us deeply.

Our family will enjoy our new telescope. Every time we get it out we will remember the love and kindness that brought it to us. We will remember the stranger that brightened Jacob's day while at the same time helping to fill a very urgenet need for Fred and his family. We will remember the MANY people that reached out and touched another's life in a very big way. We will remember how all of these people came together and put their lives into action in living out one of the most important commandments given to us.....that of loving one another. Our family is basking in the warmth of God's love this weekend shining brightly through the lives of those around us!



No clue why he is wearing that scarf?? That is the scarf that I wore with my high school varsity jacket! Silly boy! ;)
Love,
Wendy

No comments: