Every Good and perfect gift is from above. James 1:17
Friday, June 27, 2008
Flabbergasted....
....that's it....that's the word that describes how I feel about this.......FLABBERGASTED! My baby girl can READ!! :-O In kindergarten Gracie has a list of sight words that we work on every week. Well actually it's the same list every week we just add words to it. So, I knew she had that list of words memorized. When I'm reading to her I will stop at these little sight words and ask her what they are. She uses her finger to follow along in the song book at church and I've noticed the past few weeks she has gotten very good at it.......keeping that finger on the correct words without help! ;) So, I go to the library to sign the kids up for the summer reading program. I talked a bit to the librarian about Gracie....debating on whether to sign her up for the "read to me" program or the program where she does the reading herself. Since she really wasn't reading yet we decided that maybe we could count a few pages of a very simple book as a whole book if she could make it through them. We would kind of play it by ear so to speak. So, I continued to read to her stopping and pointing to these sight words that I knew were on her list. THEN this past weekend when Gramps and Neena were here and things were very busy I'm in the kitchen and hear Gracie over LOTS of other noise. What is she doing? I walk in the living room. She is sitting alone on the couch with a book.....reading it out loud. :-O I stood behind her with my mouth agape as she read page after page after page by herself with no help from anyone! I just can't explain how stunned I was! The title of the book was "Ten Apples on Top" Yes, it's a beginner reader book, but it's filled with all kind of words that she was reading like a pro and with expression! :-O She read all 59 pages. She did not have it memorized because it is not our book...it's from the library. She continues to devour all of our beginning reader books. How did that happen? I mean I know how it happened I guess........but well.....I guess what I am saying.......THAT WAS EASY!! LOL!! I feel like I didn't play any part in "teaching" Gracie to read. No sitting and sounding out each and every word?? I'm just .......well.......FLABBERGASTED!!! Read on sweetheart.......read on! Now we have Heidi sitting on one end of the couch reading and Gracie sitting on the other reading. ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Go, Gracie, GO!!! Wowzers, that's awesome! I can just imagine your surprise when you found her reading. :) On to Isaac now I guess. ;)
Way to go Gracie!!! You'll never be lonely if you can read, sweetie. Reading takes you to all sorts of places, and adventures! Keep up the great work.:)
Wow! Wow! Wow! Great Job Gracie!
WAY
TO
GO,
GRACIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can travel, explore, experience and laugh...all while snuggled with your favorite loved one be it living or stuffed.
:-)
So proud of you, Gracie!!!
Post a Comment