Every Good and perfect gift is from above. James 1:17

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Oh By the Way

So, are there any Joe Scruggs fans out there? If you have kids and haven't heard of Joe Scruggs you're missing something! We love Joe Scruggs here! He sings some really fun and great kid songs. One of those songs popped into my head tonight. The song is called "Oh By the Way" and here are a bit of the lyrics:

It's Monday morning, I'm running late, There's not a minute to spare. Mom calls out, Come on, let's go, as she finishes drying her hair. Now I'm in my place with a smile on my face, Just thinking about my day, Then I think of some things I'm supposed to bring, And that's when I say, Dear Mom, oh, by the way, I need an orange juice can, Four cotton balls, and Six rubber bands, And by the way, I'm an angel in the play, I' m gonna sing and I need some wings.

LOL!! It's such a cute song and boy can I relate! It all works out in the end in the song...and somehow seems to usually work out in my real life as well. ;)

The most hectic time of my day is by far the hour to hour and a half between picking the kids up at the bus stop in the afternoon and supper. This time is filled with lots of busyness and craziness! Today was no exception! The kids get off the bus at around 3:50. Today we get back to the house and Daddy's truck is in the driveway, which does not happen too often. Just the fact that Daddy is home causes an extra flurry of energy in the house!
*When I pull into the driveway there is some extra smoke coming from under the hood. Tom just changed the thermostat in the van last night?? So, we pop the hood and look at that and Tom determines that he isn't exactly sure what the problem is?

*Tom has computer work to do for work. He has a fairly large document that has a deadline of tonight.....so, he's at the computer

*Empty backpacks
-Jacob's basketball registration form needs to be hand delivered by me to another school ...can't be turned into our school...ok
-We're going to have a Santa Candy Shop at school...ok sounds fun!
-Oh cool Gracie got her report card....first of the year...she did GREAT!!..yay! "Gracie this is a note from Mrs Hunter and she says that you are doing a great job at school! She says that you are a great listener and a good friend. I'm so proud of you" Kiss, kiss, kiss
-Mom: "Jacob...ewww...why are there crunched up crackers in your back pack?"
Jacob: "Because I didn't want to eat all of them"
Mom: "Well, if you don't want to eat all of them just leave them in your lunch box!"

*Isaac:"Mama, can I take out the train track?"
Mom: "Yes, but I am not going to be able to help you with it right now because I need to help Jacob with his homework, ok?"
Isaac:"YAY"

*Heidi: "Can I go to Samantha's birthday party on Saturday"
Mom: "I've never met Samantha or her parents. What kind of person is she?
Heidi: "She's nice and her parents are funny"
Mom: "Dad and I will have to talk about it first. I will need to meet her Mom first ok?"

*Mom: "Jacob, let's get your Math done"

*Gracie: "How many days until it's my turn to take snack to school?"
Mom: " 2 days"
Gracie: "TWO DAYS?......Yay" (clapping and dancing)
Gracie: "Do I get to help you put the snack in the little baggies"
Mom: "Yep!"
Gracie: "Yay" (more clapping and dancing around the room)
Gracie: "Can we do it now"
Mom: "No, remember two days!"
Gracie: "ooook" (no clapping or dancing)

*Mom: "Jacob, if you go to the store and buy something for $2.32 and you give the man $5.00 he is not going to give you back $7.32.....if he does I want to go to that store! You should not be adding! Does that make sense? What should you be doing?
Jacob: "Do I HAVE to do my math right now?"
Mom: "Yes, you need to get it done! Take the time to THINK"

*Huge singing, dancing Santa: "Ho, Ho, Ho MERRY CHRISTMAS....It's the most wonderful time of the year.........."
Mom: "WHY does he keep on singing and dancing when no one is over there?"
Heidi: "Because Jacob turned him on sensor"
Mom: "Oh good grief!"
Dad walks over and yanks something.
Mom: "What did you do?"
Dad: "I unplugged him"

*Isaac (in tears and total frustration) "My train track won't work!!!"
Mom: "Heidi can you help him with that train track please"
Heidi: "I have to do my homework"
Jacob: "I'll help him!"
Mom: "No, you need to work on your Math"
Jacob: "oooook humph"
Mom: "Just a minute Isaac and Mama will help you. Jacob if you buy something for $2.32 and you pay with a $5.00 what will your change be"
Jacob: Thinking, thinking, thinking "I think I need to subtract????"
Mom: "Bingo........do it" high fives!

*Heidi: "I have an algebra test tomorrow. Can you help me study?"
Mom: "That is going to have to wait!" (My brain can't take algebra at this point!)
Heidi: "What is the abbreviation for Quebec?"
Mom: "Hmmmm QB"
Heidi: "Nope, PQ"
Mom: "Really??" (I learn something new everyday when helping with homework)
Heidi: "Dad didn't know either, he said QU"

*Mom: "Jacob, you need to put the biggest number on top when doing a subtraction problem!"

*Isaac: "Watch Mama, I can hop from this rug to this run...Hop, Hop, Hop, Hop"
Mom: "You got it goin' on"
Isaac: "Yep"

*Mom: "Jacob, I am going to get supper started....you keep working on your Math"

*Gracie: "Mama look, look...Heidi painted my fingers and my toes! I have the best sister EVER!!!" (More dancing around the house)

*Mom: "Isaac you need to pick up your train set"

*Isaac: "I don't want tooooo" (fit throw)

*Mom: "Go sit in the time out chair, we do not throw fits!! You got out the train set and after your time in the time out chair you will take care of it!"

*Mom: "Gracie did you give Thumper love today?"
Gracie: "Ummm no"
Mom: "You need to give Thumper lots of love everyday. You better go get your coat and shoes on and go give Thumper some lovin'!
Gracie: "Yay" (More dancing)

*Mom: "You guys need to leave Daddy alone for now. He's got work to do"

*Jacob: "I'm done with my Math Mom"
Mom: "ok, I'll check it in a little while. You can study your spelling words after supper"

*Mom: "Why are you in time out"
Isaac: "Because I fru a fit"
Mom: "Yes, when Mama asks you to do something you need to do it ok buddy. Now go take care of your train track" kiss, kiss, kiss

*Mom: "Oh NO, I just put gravy mix instead of taco seasoning in the taco pie!.....ugh"

*Mom: "Jacob, why can't Isaac watch you play your GameBoy"
Jacob: "Because he breathes"
Mom:.......sigh and eye roll

*Gracie: "When I was sitting down and got up to wash my hands then.....
Daddy: "Are you going to tattle?"
Gracie: "No, Isaac took my spot when I got up to wash my hands"
Daddy: "Gracie that is tattling! When you get up, then the space is free for someone else. You need to find another spot to sit"

*Jacob: "Mom, have you ever had deer jerky, it's from right here"......smacking his rear end

*Isaac crying: "Jacob pushed me!"
Mom: "Jacob did you push Isaac?"
Jacob: "No"
Mom: "Did you touch him causing him to fall?"
Jacob:" Well, yes...but..."
Mom: "Would Isaac have fallen if you hadn't touched him?"
Jacob: "Well.....no"
Mom: "you need to treat other people like you would want to be treated........give Isaac some love"

*Gracie: Reading her sight words "a, can, go, I, Like, my, name, see, to, and, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, brown, black, white"
Mom: "GOOD job Gracie!!" kiss, kiss, kiss

*Heidi: "Can you help me with my algebra now, Mom"
Mom: "Honey that is going to have to wait until the little ones are in bed ok?"

*Isaac: working in the "I can draw animals book" (tears and frustration) "My bunny doesn't look like this bunny!!"
Mom: "Are you hungry? It's time to eat. Go wash your hands"

*Dad (at 5pm): "Oh by the way, we are having a luncheon at work tomorrow and I am signed up to bring the ham"
Mom: "WHAT?? HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL BE AT THIS LUNCHEON?"
Dad: 40
Mom: "HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! That reminds me of the Joe Scruggs song"
Dad: "What song"
Mom: "You know that song 'Oh By the Way'"
Dad: "Oh yeah......Ha ha"...(mom rolling eyes)
(keep in mind that we live in a rural area! I had not heard one thing about this ham until this moment! And, Tom gets up at 3:30 am and leaves for work at 4:30!) .....sometimes the only thing to do is laugh!!

The ham is in the oven and the timer is set!! HA........Very funny! ;)






4 comments:

The Byrd's Nest said...

I am cracking up laughing....I love the answer to why Jacob can't watch him play a game, "Because he breathes". Love it!

After 5:00 something strange happens to children. A friend of mine told me this is why happy hour was invented. We don't drink but I can easily understand that!!

Wendy, reading this reminds me of when James & Elisabeth were young and how I should treasure all of the unschooled days with Lottie and Emma because more fun is just around the corner!!!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved this entry!!!!!

Times haven't changed at all.... just different mamma's and kidos.

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh My Law!!!!
Do ya think you are busy enough??? That cracks me up. And oh my heavens! I can NOT believe that Tom forgot to tell you about the ham for people. That is so funny. Well ... .maybe funny isn't the right word. Ha.
Love you,
Terrie

HollyMarie said...

Oh my goodness! Reminds me of when I was younger and living at home. I learned to do my homework at the kitchen table while kids were running by shrieking, calling for mom, etc etc. Never a dull moment! ;)