To this (first day of her Senior year):
I know it happens every day. I know it's the whole goal of parenting. Kids grow up and leave home. Mom's send their children out into the world all grown up and hope for the best every day. But, it's never happened to this mom! It's never happened to ME! This year will be filled with lots of "lasts" for Heidi and for us as her parents. We have already experienced some of the "lasts"....such as the "last" first day of school. Yes, there will be college. But, the last time when I send all my kids together off to school. The "last" first race of cross country season. This week will be the last cross country team photo. I could go on and on, but you know what I am talking about.
It is all so bittersweet really because while we ARE experiencing many lasts we are and will also be experiencing many "firsts". Our first college class. Our first senior picture session. Our first high school graduation. Again...I could go on and on....
My heart is absolutely bursting with love and pride for my beautiful daughter!!! We prayed and prayed for a child!! And God blessed us with a most precious gift! Heidi made me a Mama for the first time. I can still feel the moment so vividly with all my senses. The moment she was placed in my arms for the first time. Here she is...a gift...a gift of a daughter. Really?? Truly?? YES...YOUR daughter!!! WOW!! There are just no words to truly describe that moment so I will not attempt to.
As we enter this final year of high school I think of Heidi's birthmother often. I know she's thinking about her...and wondering. She asked me one day, in her broken English, when Heidi was just a wee little one. "She stubborn? I stubborn." lol My answer then a simple "yes she is" . My answer today, 17 years later, a resounding YES SHE IS!!!!!!!!! LOL!! I wish I could tell her....Yes, she is stubborn and she is beautiful....both inside and out. She is intelligent and kind. She is thoughtful, giggly and fun. She is determined, driven and hard working. She is strong willed and sweet. She is confident and strong. She is quiet and loud. ;) I wish she could know all of those things. And, I LOVE HER FIERCELY!!! I know she knows that! I hope that fact continues to give her peace.
God tells us "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens". ~Ecc. 3:1~
This is a time for Senior Year! And Heidi is gonna rock it! And this Mama will be standing proudly behind cheering her on and supporting her!! :)
Love,
Wendy
ps Blech...not liking the angles (slanty backgrounds) in these photos. :-/ They be buggin' me!
pss Btw, James and Heidi have been together 3 years today. WOW! Thought that was worth a mention.

3 comments:
I feel a wide range of emotions reading this....
I'm not sure what to say...
except
WOW!
~sigh~
WOW!
pss - CONGRATS to J & H :)
Such a beautiful post, Wendy! It brought tears to my eyes, making me think just how quickly (it will seem) that Marina will be a senior in high school. Thanks for allowing me to remember to slow down and appreciate each and every amazing, God-given minute with my precious kiddos! Heidi is going to do well and go far.....great job, mama! :O)
Kristen
Man oh man... at this point I can only imagine the feelings of watching a child enter her senior year! Wow... enjoy every moment. What a beautiful young lady!
Post a Comment